Unlimited Potential Community Services empowers individuals and families to reach their full potential and enhance community well-being.
FULL TIME INDIGENOUS CULTURAL ADVISOR – CENTRAL AREA (RED DEER /PONOKA/WETASKIWIN), AB
Unlimited Potential Community Services (UP) is a non-profit charitable society that has been providing quality support and treatment since 1987. Our goal is to restore stability and hope in the lives of children, youth, adults, and families so they can achieve personal independence and family unity. UP believes cultural tradition is an important part of mental wellness, so we incorporate the culture and traditions of our clients wherever possible. UP invites applicants who are passionate about providing quality support to our clients through a culturally sensitive approach and helping us to work together towards our goal to support each child and family to reach their full potential.
Position overview: Reporting to the Indigenous Engagement Lead, the Indigenous Cultural Advisor will play a key role in developing and implementing culturally appropriate wellness options across the organization and will focus on supporting each child and family to reach their full potential.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture, customs and beliefs;
- Demonstrated experience working with clients with Indigenous background is required;
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and/or assist in cultural training/ceremonies, public speaking, opening prayers and providing blessings;
- Understanding of current and emerging issues of importance to Indigenous people and communities;
- Knowledge of Cree language or one of the other Indigenous languages in Treaty 6, 7 or 8 Traditional Territories and/or Metis Settlements will be a definite asset;
- Good understanding of health issues affecting youth and adults, such as FASD, drug and alcohol addictions, intergenerational trauma, mental health, suicide and other mental and behavioural issues;
- Good understanding of cultural differences and how they impact treatment approaches for children and youth;
- Good verbal and written communication skills with proven organizational and documentation skills;
- Willing to work flexible hours that meet the needs of the children/families including evenings and weekends.
Qualifications/Experience: A diploma/degree in Indigenous Studies or Human Services disciplines would be an asset; however, a combination of formal and informal training will be honored and considered. Please note: if education is in Social Work, the candidate must be registered Social Worker with the Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW). Previous experience working with children, youth and families would be a definite asset.
Other requirements: A current, clear Police Information Check, Intervention Record Check, an Alberta valid driver’s license (minimum class 5), good driving record (less than 6 demerits), and must be confident with city and rural driving. Must be willing to work shifts and weekends.
Salary & Benefits: Annual Salary: $53,075.00 - $65,000.00 (salary commensurate with experience and education). We also provide full-time employees with a 100% employer paid health benefits package (which includes vision, dental and prescription drug coverage, massage therapy, etc.) and a flexible schedule. We also offer free courses and workshops in-house for all of our employees.
Closing date: July 2, 2019
Our values are integrity, respect, excellence, humility and relationships. If you meet the entrance criteria, hold similar values and are looking to join a dynamic team that works hard to empower and support children, youth and families, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out an Application here.
UP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all cultures and backgrounds; all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.