Unlimited Potential Community Services empowers individuals and families to reach their full potential and enhance community well-being.
FULL TIME INDIGENOUS ENGAGEMENT SPECIALIST – CENTRAL AREA (RED DEER /PONOKA/WETASKIWIN), AB
Unlimited Potential Community Services (UP) is a non-profit charitable society that has been providing quality support and treatment since 1987. Our goal is to restore stability and hope in the lives of children, youth, adults, and families so they can achieve personal independence and family unity. UP believes cultural tradition is an important part of mental wellness, so we incorporate the culture and traditions of our clients wherever possible. UP invites applicants who are passionate about providing quality support to our clients through a culturally sensitive approach and helping us to work together towards our goal to support each child and family to reach their full potential.
Program overview: Our Indigenous Resources are designed to provide a Holistic approach in working with children and families. We recognize the need for children, individuals and families to be connected to their culture and maintain ties to their family, ancestors and community.
Position overview: Reporting to the Indigenous Engagement Lead, the Indigenous Engagement Specialist will be responsible for engaging youth, families, community and organization’s staff in culturally enhanced programming. They will play a key role in developing and implementing culturally appropriate wellness options within central region to support each youth in reaching their full potential.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture, customs and beliefs;
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and/or assist in cultural training/ceremonies, Sacred Family Circles and Family Group Conferences;
- Understanding of current and emerging issues of importance to Indigenous people and communities;
- Knowledge of Indigenous language(s) will be a definite asset;
- Good understanding of health issues affecting youth and adults, such as FASD, drug and alcohol addictions, intergenerational trauma, mental health, suicide and other mental and behavioural issues;
- Good understanding of cultural differences and how they impact treatment approaches for children and youth;
- Good verbal and written communication skills with proven organizational and documentation skills;
- Previous experience working with children, youth and families would be a definite asset.
- Willing to work flexible hours that meet the needs of the children and families (may include some evenings and weekends).
Qualifications/Experien ce: A diploma/degree in Indigenous Studies or Human Services disciplines would be an asset (Please note: if education is in Social Work, the candidate must be registered Social Worker with the Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW); however, a combination of formal and informal training will be honored and considered. Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge in the coordination, facilitation and leading of Family Group Conferences and Family Circles is a mandatory requirement of the position. Previous experience to facilitate and/or assist in cultural training/ceremonies is preferred.
Other requirements: A current, clear Police Information Check, Intervention Record Check (within 6 months), an Alberta valid driver’s license (minimum class 5), good driving record (less than 6 demerits), and must be confident with city and rural driving.
Salary & Benefits: Annual salary: $53,075.00 - $65,000.00 (salary commensurate with experience and education). We also provide full-time employees with a 100% employer paid health benefits package (which includes vision, dental and prescription drug coverage, massage therapy, etc.) and a flexible schedule. We also offer free courses and workshops in-house for all of our employees.
Closing date: August 10th, 2019
Our values are integrity, respect, excellence, humility and relationships. If you meet the entrance criteria, hold similar values and are looking to join a dynamic team that works hard to empower and support children, youth and families, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter to Human Resources at email@example.com or fill out an Application here.
UP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all cultures and backgrounds; all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.