Position: Thorpe Recovery Centre (TRC): Addictions Counsellor – Level III (Full-Time regular, evening and weekend shifts) – 3 positions – Non-profit Organization, Competitive wage
Reports To: Program Supervisor
Utilizing a team case management approach, the Addictions Counsellors will consult with the clinical team and other supporting agencies providing services that promote wellness while empowering individuals to achieve their highest level of functioning. The Addictions Counsellors will be required to provide coordination in the areas of case management, case planning, and implementation of programming as well as providing support to program offerings including but not limited to Detox, Transition, Residential, and Intensive.
Responsibilities and Duties in the areas of Residential Counselling, Program Facilitation, Intensive Program, Detox Counselling:
- Apply appropriate assessment and diagnostic criteria, using accepted methods, including gathering information from family members and other collateral contacts.
- Conducts assessments for clients upon admission and complete discharge plans.
- Provide assessment, counselling, ongoing evaluation, and revision of client’s progress/goals.
- Develop a treatment plan for each client based on the assessment of presenting issues maximizing all available resources.
- Support clients with problem solving, compatibility and conflict resolution.
- Complete documentation and maintain accurate records and reports regarding the client’s histories and progress, services provided and other required information.
- Maintains high levels of communication with the care team regarding the client’s treatment plan.
- Conduct individual/group counselling sessions and facilitate therapeutic groups, lectures and activities.
- Provide a range of counselling and education services including individual, group and family services.
- Provide relapse prevention services.
- Assess and provide direct intervention or referral to appropriate service providers/programs.
- Provide coordination in the areas of case management, case planning and implementation of programming.
- Deal effectively with addictive patterns of behavior, concurrent disorders and other mental health behavioral and emotional concerns such as abuse, violence, grief and loss.
- Coordinate and/or participate in case management, consultation and in departmental planning activities.
- Assist with the planning/implementation of program enhancements.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Master’s Degree in Psychology, Counselling or Social Work combined with one to three years experience in Addiction Counselling.
- Certification in Sex Addiction Therapy (CSAT) is an asset.
- Certification with The Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF) (or working towards the certification).
- Sound knowledge of various therapeutic addiction counselling theories and practices.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with a wide range of individuals consisting of diverse ages and cultures, in potentially volatile and emotionally charged situations.
- Ability to work well under pressure, individually and as part of a team.
- Effective communication skills demonstrating concern and empathy.
- Understand and commitment to respectfully practice confidentiality and privacy.
- Strong moral and ethical reasoning.
- High degree of resourcefulness, flexibility and adaptability.
If you feel you are a fit for this position please submit your updated resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for applying however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.