|Try Anywhere.ca - A Public Photo Gallery Hosting Images Of Canada!|
This post has expired! It was posted more than 60 days ago.
Terracon is currently seeking candidates for a HR Manager
Term: 1 Year Temporary/ Maternity replacement
Location: Calgary, AB
Reporting To: VP HS&E, and HR
Overtime Eligibility: Yes
HR Manager Role:
The HR Manager guides and manages the overall provision of the Human Resources services, policies, and programs for the company. The HR Manager leads and directs the HR team to enable them to deliver a comprehensive HR service to the business. The HR Manager proactively advises on best practice HR and where necessary takes a hands-on role in dealing with case work.
Responsibilities, Accountabilities & Scope:
- Establishes and leads the recruiting and hiring practices and procedures necessary to recruit and hire a superior workforce.; support the organization of manpower by establishing a recruiting, testing, and interviewing program; counseling managers on candidate selection; conducting and analyzing exit interviews; recommending changes.
- Manages the employee on-boarding process; orientation, company housing
- Partakes in weekly manpower meetings and is prepared to discuss candidates suitability
- Submits quarterly Exit Interview Reports which include thorough analyses of the company’s trends and attrition.
- Extends monthly Attrition reports for each department.
- Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by training managers to coach and discipline employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances; coaching employees and supervisors.
- Advise managers on organizational policy matters such as equal employment opportunity and sexual harassment, and recommend needed changes.
- Formulates and recommends Human Resources policies and objectives for the company with regard to employee relations.
- Partners with management to communicate Human Resources policies, procedures, programs and laws.
- Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer – employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation.
- Conducts investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth.
- Monitors and advises managers and supervisors in the progress discipline system of the company. Monitors the implementation of a performance improvement process with non-performing employees
- Policy development and documentation
- Performance management and improvement systems
- Reviews, guides and leads management for employment terminations.
Compensation and Benefits Administration;
- Coordinates with the Payroll Coordinator for benefits administration.
- Maintains employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefit changes; directing the processing of benefit claims; designing and conducting educational resources on benefit programs.
- Coordinates with the CFO and management team on the company’s wage and salary structure, pay policies.
- Leads competitive market research to establish pay practices and pay bands that help to recruit and retain superior staff.
- Monitors all pay changes and communicates changes to Payroll.
- Leads participation in a least one salary survey a year.
- With the assistance of the CFO, obtains cost effective, employee serving benefits
- Ensures the benefits program is communicated to new hires thoroughly
- Knowledgeable of the company’s employee services, EFAP and refers employees in need
- Leads disability claims and monitors the status of returning employees
- Communicates disability leaves to payroll and management.
- Manages compliance to regulatory concerns; employment standards
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource requirements; conducting investigations; maintaining records
- Maintains management guidelines by preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures.
- Day to day management of direct reports within the HR team
- Responsible for facilitating questions to be responded to in regard to contract bids.
- Maintains historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system; keeping past and current records. Personnel files kept for 7 years, recruitment files kept for 3 years.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Provide current and prospective employees with information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, and opportunities for promotion and employee benefits.
- Perform difficult staffing duties, including dealing with understaffing, refereeing disputes, firing employees, and administering disciplinary procedures.
Development of a Human Resources Department:
- Oversees the implementation of Human Resources programs. Monitors administration to establish standards and procedures. Identifies opportunities for improvement and resolves any discrepancies.
- Conducts a continuing study of all Human Resources policies, programs, and practices to keep management informed of new developments
- Leads the development of department goals, objectives and systems.
- Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or as requested, to track strategic goal accomplishments.
- Participates in executive, management, and company staff meetings.
HRIS (Human Resources Information System):
- Manages the development and maintenance of SAGE HRMS system
Training & Development:
- Defines all Human Resources training programs and assigns them to members of the HR team. Provides necessary education and materials to managers and employees including manuals, employee handbooks, and standardized reports.
- Continually enforce company Health and Safety rules and procedures
- Attend weekly and monthly safety meetings
- Commitment to work-place safety, for personal, co-workers and reporting employees
- Complete office inspections for HR team
- Development of a superior workforce
- Development of a Human Resources Department
- Development of an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement and high performance.
- Coaching management on legal compliances and obligations
- Personal ongoing development.
Scope & Expectations of the HR Manager:
- Operation Managers
- Senior Management
Growth & Development:
- Gain more hands on experience in the companies compensation management structure and business operations
- Attain CHRP designation and conflict medication certificate
- Attend more leadership/ coaching seminars
Goals to achieve within the 1 year placement
- Review benefits administration- provide thorough instructions/ information to new hires
- Review the compensation management structure of the company
- Manage the employee evaluation process and ensure its completion
- Streamline recruitment spreadsheets/ databases
- Fill vacancies as quickly as possible
- Review candidate medical tests- select tests that could be more specific to Terracon’s job requirements
- Review Company Handbook April 2013
- Implement Job Descriptions for every position that is filled- support the hiring Manager on their completion. Ensure employees are signing off on the JD.
- Create and implement Job analysis- specifically for administrators
- Implement conversation/ meetings with reporting managers when their employee resigns.
Qualifications, Knowledge- Based & Skill-Based Requirements:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business, Organizational development
- Valid Driver’s License with no restrictions
- Obtained safety tickets in CSTS & OSSA would be considered an asset
- Knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organization development, employee relations
- Above average oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop Human Resources staff members
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office and database management
- Experience in benefits and compensation programs
- High level of confidentiality
- Excellent organizational skills
- Knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organization development, employee relations
- Alberta Employment Standards
- The Company’s policies and procedures
- Oil sands business operations
- Market and employment trends
- Communicate consistently to the following departments; payroll, senior management, operations’ managers, hr team, employees and others.
- Strong ability to lead and guide HR team members efficiently and effectively
- Ability to recognize team members weaknesses and strengths
- Assertive and encourage change when needed
- Indoor office environment
- Continuous sitting, typing and talking on the telephone
- Occasional travel to Ft. McMurray branch required
The Company’s Overview and Mission
Terracon Geotechnique Ltd. is an independent, Canadian consulting firm, wholly owned by its management staff. Established in 1978, the firm diversified and reorganized under the name Terracon Geotechnique Ltd. in 1983. The firm primarily serves the mining industry and the Athabasca Oils Sands region from its administrative office in Calgary and office, soils and concrete laboratory in Fort McMurray.
Terracon Geotechnique Ltd. is committed to achieving peerless safety and environmental benchmarks. We are responsible citizens who are driven by professional integrity and dedicated to extraordinary service. Every team member pledges to establish lasting relationships with our clients by exceeding contractual obligations, and trust through exceptional performance. We help the resource industry enhance their efficiency, accountability and environmentally friendly operations.
Why Work for Terracon Geotechnique?
When you enter the team of Terracon Geotechnique you are part of a safe, respectful, fun and supporting group. Terracon is committed to the safety of all its’ employees, and liaisons. Terracon values its’ employees, that is why we make every effort to reward them with competitive compensation and benefits. Dependent upon the location and job accepted, Terracon offers financial relocation assistance and temporary housing.
Awarded Alberta Venture Magazine’s “Best Workplaces 2012: Best Workplace for Health & Safety”!
Awarded the Certificate of Recognition in Health and Safety by Alberta Human Resources and Employment for the past 12 years!
We encourage you to submit your resume if you are interested. Please reference the job title you are applying for to:
Fax: (403) 233-0841
Please note, only successfully applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please