|Try Anywhere.ca - A Public Photo Gallery Hosting Images Of Canada!|
Position:Medical Laboratory Technologist l – Anatomic Pathology
Duration:Temporary up to 12 months.
Closing Date:March 26, 2014
Rate Scale (hr):$33.59 to $42.91
Location:Diagnostic & Scientific Centre (#9, 3535 Research Road NW)
Schedule: Monday to Friday 0530 to 2300 (including on call rotation) 4 days each week
The duration of a temporary position may change due to operational needsPosition Summary
Reporting to the Medical Laboratory Technologist II and III, Supervisor, or Manager, this position is responsible for performing a variety of duties including, but not limited to: routine and specialized laboratory procedures and preparation of specimens.
- Performs routine bench duties in accordance with laboratory policies and procedures to ensure a high quality, accurate and timely result.
- Provides instruction and collects specimens ensuring sample integrity when required.
- Performs all quality control and assurance practices and maintains records as required.
- Recognizes and assesses unusual or abnormal findings and problem solves discrepancies. Alerts the appropriate senior staff, staff internal or external to CLS or physician as needed.
- Operates, maintains and performs troubleshooting on a variety of laboratory instruments to ensure optimal function.
- Monitors department supply inventory and acts appropriately to maintain.
- Contributes to the ongoing improved operation of the technical areas.
- Participates in the validation and assessment of procedures and equipment under the direction of the senior tech, supervisor, or manager.
- Participates in the training and orientation of students and staff and in evaluating their progress.
- Collaborates on the preparation of manuals and SOP.
- Maintains a clean work area.
- Observes and is aware of all safety precautions and practices including WHMIS.
- Enters information into the Laboratory Information System.
- Files, retrieves and discards specimens/blocks /slides as per retention guidelines.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use confidential information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to patients, staff and the business of CLS.
- Demonstrates Professionalism, Respect/Caring. Integrity, Dedication and Excellence (PRIDE) in the work environment.
Specific Duties May include but not limited to:
Questions regarding the above competition may be directed to email@example.com
Please forward your resume, specifying competition number to Calgary Laboratory Services, Human Resources Department via Fax at 770-3297 or online at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4pm on the closing date
- Accessioning, grossing, processing (paraffin and plastic) embedding, cutting and staining of routine, post- mortem and research tissue.
- Quench tissue and perform frozen sectioning.
- Special stains procedures including immunohistchemistry staining, manual and automated.
- Key Skills and Aptitudes
- CMLTA registration and an MLT Practice Permit and evidence of the appropriate CSMLS certification are required.
- 1-3 years recent experience in AP preferred.
- Cerner Millennium skills an asset.
- Experience with frozen sections processing, renals biopsies, and grossing to level IV an asset.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Good verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical reasoning skills and decision making skills are required.
- Organizational skills and an ability to handle a multi-task environment.
- Data entry and computer skills essential.
- Any Canadian equivalency to English 30 or CLBA score of Benchmark 8 completed within the last 6 months.