Senior Interpreter - Permanent, Full Time
Heritage Park has an immediate opening for a full-time Senior Interpreter. Under the direction of the Public Programming Coordinator, this position will develop interpretive programs and deliver dynamic interpretation of the Gasoline Alley Museum. This position will also support other interpretive activities within the Historical Village.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts research to support daily interpretive programs and new initiatives
- Develops interpretive programs for existing and new exhibits
- Delivers interpretive programs using techniques that include "stationed" interpretation, guided tours, role acting, storytelling and/or demonstration
- Prepares sites and associated artifacts and materials for program use
- Leads pre-booked guided tours of the Park and Gasoline Alley as needed (i.e. bus tours, other groups)
- Assists in the development and delivery of advertised themed activity days and value added interpretive programming
- Performs other Museum duties as required such as acting in the capacity of Lead Hand, assisting with training, mentoring and supervising seasonal staff and volunteers, and scheduling staff and tours.
- Post-Secondary education and/or training in related areas (Western Canadian history, historical interpretation, museum studies, communications, tour guiding)
- Post secondary education or experience teaching children, youth or adults is considered an asset
- At least two years experience in the development and delivery of interpretation programs using a variety of techniques
- Prior experience supervising and mentoring staff
- A keen interest in and knowledge of the history of automobiles, transportation, or the social history of the 1930’s to 50’s is also an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication as well as public relations skills; comfortable working with audiences of all ages
- Organized, flexible, adaptable, and capable of independent study, exhibit mature judgement, and have a proven ability to work well with others
- Basic computer skills to utilize programs such as Outlook, Word, and Excel and conduct research online and using traditional methods
Hours of Work:
- The schedule will generally be five consecutive days per week, including at least one weekend day
Make a little history of your own!
Forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. While only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview, we thank all applicants for your interest in Heritage Park.
For more information about the Park, visit www.HeritagePark.ca