Job Title: Estimator, Commercial Construction
Location: Calgary, AB
Posted: January 8, 2018
Expected Start: Feb 1, 2018 (or sooner)
Positions Available: 1
Reports to: President
Wage and Benefits:
Permanent, year round work, full time
Salary is dependent upon experience
Health/dental benefits after 3-month probationary term is met
Training and Development
Please include in the body of your email or on the fax cover sheet the following info:
1. Degree/Diploma (+Certificates) held?
2. Do you have a valid DL and transportation?
4. Available start date?
5. Salary expectation?
Submit your resume in confidence to: Human Resources
Email: email@example.com or Fax: 403 217-2466
Please Note: Only those currently eligible to work in Canada will be considered. We do NOT offer relocation allowance.
Xemex Contracting Inc., established in 1999, is a reputable commercial contractor specializing in interior & exterior renovations. Xemex has recently expanded into base building construction by adding new products like our AL13 cladding division. We have built long lasting relationships with our clients and we pride ourselves on our commitment to safety and continued involvement in the COR program through ACSA. We are continually growing our business and seek dynamic individuals to join our team. This is a full-time opportunity for a self-motivated individual who strives in a fast paced environment.
You will be a natural team player whose confidence is driven through your ability to effectively communicate and motivate the team towards the completion of the project. We will consider experience, training and suitability in our review of the prospect. Our projects are located throughout the city of Calgary, with a focus on cost and timing.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with exceptional experience in stand alone based buildings and interiors and an understanding of building envelope systems.
Accurately forecast the scope, cost and duration of multiple future commercial construction projects. Develop the cost information needed to make a bid for a contract or to decide the profitability of a proposed project.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Determine which projects are viable and should be moved forward to the bid process
- Review preliminary drawings and specifications
- Site visit/meet with designer &/or client
- Prepare a well written and complete job description including budget figures to assist clients in ascertaining project worth
- Complete complex mathematical calculations used to estimate costs per unit based on square footage or other specific requirements of a project
- Complete estimating form, filling in dimensions, number of units and other information
- Estimate the costs of all items the Contractor must provide
- Determine equipment needs, sequence of operations, labour needs, and physical constraints of the site
- Determine allowances for waste removal, wasted materials, inclement weather, shipping delays and other factors that may increase costs
- Prepare a cost summary for the entire project including:
Cost of labour, materials, equipment, subcontracts, overhead, taxes, insurance, parking, mark up and any other costs that may affect the project
- Submit to Project Manager &/or Owner to determine bid viability and decision to proceed or not
- Prepare job packages for subtrades to bid on project including job description, drawings and specs
- Meet with subtrades as required at project site &/or office
- Analyze bids made by subtrades with “takeoff” preparation for Owner or Project Manager to award project to subtrade in each category
- Finalize/revise cost summary
Required Training and Experience:
- 5 years’ experience in a Construction Estimating role in COMMERCIAL construction, particularly with commercial interiors; exterior renovations an asset
- Have an aptitude for mathematics; can quickly analyze, compare and interpret detailed but sometimes poorly defined information; to make sound and accurate judgments. The ability to focus on details, while analyzing and overcoming larger obstacles is essential.
- Assertiveness and self confidence in presenting and supporting conclusions
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Strong understanding of Building Code.
- Solid design &/or consulting experience (layout changes, cost saving ideas)
- Some drafting experience Proficient in reading blueprints, drawings and specifications
- Excellent time management, organization and delegation
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment; Works well under pressure, stress and time constraints, especially when facing bid deadlines
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance when meeting with clients
- Technologically proficient with Office 365, specifically Excel, Outlook, Dropbox and other various apps
- Personal vehicle (this is absolutely required - public transit is not an option)
- Be bondable (police check may be required)
Certification in the following is an asset: