Name: APEL Extrusions Ltd.
APEL Extrusions Ltd. Overview:
Search Profile: Shift Supervisor – Extrusion (Press)
The Company: APEL Extrusions
APEL Extrusions Limited is an independent extruder, finisher and fabricator of aluminum profiles servicing the commercial, residential, and industrial markets of Western Canada. Situated in Calgary, Canada, APEL Extrusions occupies 110,000 square feet of modern manufacturing space employing approximately 110 people.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Extrusion Supervisor will be responsible for production activities in the Extrusion Department for a given shift at the APEL manufacturing facility. APEL runs 24-hour operations, operating 7 days per week. Given 24-hour operations, shift rotation is a requirement for this position. The Extrusion Supervisor will have approximately 16-20 direct reports and be an active participant in APEL’s Leadership Group.
In addition to the production responsibilities, the Shift Supervisor’s role will involve extensive liaison with all areas of the company. Activities include but are not limited to managing resources and schedules in the Extrusion Department (2 presses) and the Die Shop. Key deliverables involve ensuring the extrusion department meets or exceeds safety, production, cost, and quality objectives. General duties are to:
· Delegate, manage and coordinate production teams to effectively utilize the people, equipment and materials required to meet production schedules.
· Anticipate and identify departmental bottlenecks and take corrective action.
· Make ongoing operational decisions that adhere to budget requirements and sales goals.
· Work closely with related departments to meet customer expectations for delivery and quality.
· Foster an environment of teamwork, learning and continuous improvement.
· Place a strong emphasis on safety and environmental requirements.
· Play an active role in company wide Lean Manufacturing initiatives.
· The ideal candidate will have at least 4 years of manufacturing experience with a minimum of 2 years of production management responsibility.
· Experience in an aluminum extrusion environment with a focus on press operations is a decided asset
· Post secondary education in management, engineering or manufacturing would be beneficial
· Proven experience managing people and priorities in a unionized environment.
· Education and training in Safety and Quality
· Exposure to Lean Manufacturing concepts
· Excellent remuneration and benefits package commensurate with experience.