Woods Homes is a community owned and operated childrens mental health centre based in Calgary. With a staff complement of 350 we provide 34 programs and services for at-risk children, youth and their families. Locally and nationally known and respected as a centre of excellence for child and family treatment, research and training, a workplace of choice and a leader in the development of innovative service choices....
We Never Say No. We Never Give up. We Never Turn Anyone Away.
Wood’s Homes is a multi-service, nationally accredited non-profit children’s mental health centre based in Calgary. Today we have over 500 employees and provide more than 40 programs for 28,000 children and their families each year in Calgary, Lethbridge, Strathmore, and Fort McMurray.
Commitment to high-risk adolescents, challenged with some very tough issues, is not easy. These are the times when our frontline workers spring into action. The type of work we do requires quick thinking, confidence, forgiveness and persistence.
We are currently seeking Youth & Family Counsellors I or II to work in multiple locations throughout Calgary.
The Youth & Family Counsellor acts as a coordinator in the planning and delivery of therapeutic activities for high risk youth. The Youth and Family Counsellor works on a rotational shift schedule which includes day, evening, weekend and awake overnight shifts, ensuring 24/7 coverage for the youth in our care.
*Wood’s Homes pays a shift premium of three dollars ($3.00) per hour for all hours worked between 11:00 pm - 7:00 am.
The Youth and Family Counsellor can support in a number of specialized areas, including with Youth, Adult and Indigenous Services.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Implementing and maintaining a structured setting fostering the development of personal and social functioning for each client.
- Participating in supervisory and team meetings, retreats, planning sessions, and in-service training.
- Conducting therapeutic responsibilities for young adults and their families including attendance and intervention at case conferences, consultations, school meetings, doctor’s appointments, family meetings and related case management.
- Must be an effective, mature and appropriate role model for each client.
- Integrating cultural practices, traditional ways of knowing, and building cultural resources into daily wellness activities and the treatment milieu for young persons and family (would be an asset).
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION:
- Diploma or Undergraduate Degree in, Social Sciences, Human Services, Child and Youth Care, Social Work, Community Rehabilitation, Disability Studies, Addictions, or a related field.
- Experience working with children, youth and/or adults with developmental disabilities or complex needs.
- YFC I - Minimum two (2) years of related experience in working with young people or youth transitioning into adulthood and adults in a residential setting.
- YFC II - Minimum four (4) years of related experience in working with young people or youth transitioning into adulthood and adults in a residential setting.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Personal suitability is an important consideration.
- Knowledge about local indigenous history, culture and issues (would be an asset).
Wood’s Homes is proud to be awarded one of the 100 Best Places to Work in Canada for 2011 and 2012, as well as one of Canada’s Best Workplaces for Women in 2011. We offer competitive wages, an exceptional benefits package including vision, dental, extended health, an employee and family assistance program, a generous Group Registered Pension Plan and a Computer Literacy Incentive Plan.
We offer in-house training and opportunities for professional development, including Therapeutic Crisis Intervention, Suicide Awareness, and monthly 1.5 hour walk-in presentations and workshops. (Social Workers receive 1.5 CE credits for attending ACE approved workshops.)
Please submit an application and resume to Wood’s Homes – Human Resources Department (Parkdale Campus) via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote ‘Last Name, First Name – YFC’ in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please visit us at www.woodshomes.ca for more information about our organization.